Monday, February 28, 2011

French Onion Soup

Carmelize
1 1/2 cups of thinly sliced onion with
3 Tbsp of butter
(Be careful not to scorch the onions.)

Add 6 cups of beef broth and
1/4 tsp of pepper.

Simmer for half an hour.

In the meantime, cut bread into small cubes, bake @ 400F until crisp.

When the soup is ready, add to oven proof bowls, add bread and cover with cheese. Bake @ 275F for 5 minutes.

I prefer to use white cheddar. The Joy of Cooking cookbook suggests using a mixture of Parmesan and Gruyere cheese. It also suggests adding a dash of cognac or sherry, I suggest not adding it.

There are several places to purchase french onion soup bowls. If you live in Newfoundland, I purchased my French Onion Soup Bowls at Riff's Department Store for next to nothing...believe it or not.

1 comment:

  1. This is a great recipe that easily transforms into a vegan version: Earth Balance replaces butter, and Daiya cheese replaces dairy, and vegan vegetable broth instead of beef broth. Of course gluten-free whole-grain bread can produce the bread cubes. I must give this one a try! Thanks for posting!

    ReplyDelete